Sunday, August 4, 2013

The Coolest Restroom in San Diego

Ocean Beach Comfort Station
Photo ©Darren Bradley

Last fall, while volunteering as a photographer for the annual San Diego Architectural Foundation Orchids & Onions Awards, I was asked to photograph a public toilet. I wasn't terribly excited about the assignment, but we were under a time crunch so I agreed to stop by on my way home that day and take some shots. It turned out to be the coolest public beach restroom I've ever seen.



OB Comfort Station
Photo ©Darren Bradley
The Ocean Beach Comfort Station is by Kevin deFreitas - the same guy who did the Galbraith Hall remodel at UCSD. In fact, it's how I was introduced to him. He liked my photos and contacted me after the show. 

The building was designed as a collaborative effort, with lots of community involvement and many meetings. OB is a very tight-knit community, and they're not shy about expressing what they want. 
Ocean Beach Comfort Station
Photo ©Darren Bradley
BRADLEY_OB_6
Photo ©Darren Bradley
The design incorporated public artwork on the ceiling by the artist Shinpei Takeda, and has the name of the beach (Ob) branded on the side of the building. 
Ocean Beach Comfort Station
Photo ©Darren Bradley
I love how the roof floats over the structure, and the deceptively simple design reveals itself as more complicated than it first appears, as you see it from different angles. It's very mid-century modern to me, but also feels timeless. 
Ocean Beach Comfort Station
Photo ©Darren Bradley
This project was featured yesterday in ArchDaily. For more information, please take a look at the article over there. 

No comments: